Sunday, March 20, 2011

Back Pain...Schmack Pain

Ugh...I feel old. I was putting Waylon in his car seat after his pediatrician appointment Friday morning, and I guess I somehow twisted wrong, while trying to avoid hitting his head on the door frame. I got this pain, that I can't even describe, shoot from the middle of my back up my spine. It just about knocked me out. Luckily, Waylon was in his seat, so I could lean over and let the...I don't know...ripples of pain stop.

(The only other time I've had such severe pain was in AIT at Ft. Belvoir, when I started to pass a kidney stone in the middle of class. It was a sudden, sharp pain, that made me violently sick. I had never known that such horrific pain could make you throw up - I found that out pretty quick then. **Just a quick thank you to my Drill Sergeants for letting me walk to the Emergency Room, after telling me I looked like hell, since they were too busy to take me. I soldiered on though. I just threw up again in the trashcan at the ER.**)

That was definitely the worst pain I have ever experienced. I never gave birth, so I don't have that as a comparison. (Waylon was a c-section baby. Give me a break - he was half an ounce away from 10 lbs. You birth a 3-month old, and we'll talk. But that's another blog posting.) So, this quick twist of my back was a close second.

I was able to get Waylon buckled in and then headed home to get some meds. Ibuprofen. Tylenol. Something. A call to my Mom was definitely on the agenda. She gave the perfect advice. 800 mg of Ibuprofen followed up by the regular dose every 4 hrs, plus relaxing on a heating pad. Unfortunately, I still had errands that had to get done that day, and now I had to get a heating pad! Argh!

Thankfully, the meds kicked in quickly, and I have not had really bad pain since it happened. I'm still able to lift my toddler and the dog food container, which are the heaviest and most important things in this house. When I lean all the way over, I can pinpoint the exact spot, just a little to the left of my spine, right smack dab in the center of my back, but I'm just thankful that I can lean over, period. All in all, it's not too bad. I have taken it easy this weekend, as much as I can. If Waylon wants up, I appease him as much as possible, trying to remember to lift with my legs. Who does that? Haha. Probably everyone but me. Oh well. Maybe one day I'll learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment