Monday, July 25, 2011

Successful Adoption


This book is obviously a topical book and one very close to my heart. It's about adoption, and I purchased the book to gain a little insight into the world of adoption from a Christian point of view. I follow a few blogs written by some awesome Christian gals, some of whom have already adopted, some of whom are adopting again, some who are currently in the process and some, like me, who have not yet begun the actual process. For those currently in the process, saving up for their adoption, or who have ever thought about adoption and have a heart for orphans and wish to adopt in the future, this book is a wonderful resource.

"Successful Adoption: A Guide for Christian Families" by Natalie Nichols Gillespie is a two-fold book, about both domestic and international adoption. She lets prospective parents know what to expect along the way; emotionally, mentally, cost-wise, paperwork-wise (Is that a word? It is now!). She also includes the personal stories of well-known Christians, such as Steven Curtis Chapman, Stormie Omartian, Karen Kingsbury, Nicole C. Mullen and Sandi Patty, among others. At the back of the book, she includes samples of letters and documents, so you can get an idea of what your paper trail will look like. She also lists adoption agencies, websites, ministries, support groups, organizations, financial resources and country-specific information in the Appendix. She basically took all of my past Internet surfing and combined it all in one place. :)

The author's dedication at the beginning of the book tugged at my heart, and I knew then I had made a good choice in purchasing the book. Here is the dedication: "This book is dedicated to the millions of children around the world who wish for nothing more than the love of a family to call their own - and to the families reading this who will bring them home."

We are praying for our little one until the day we bring her home.

"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."
- Jesus Christ (Matthew 18:5)


I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read with lots of helpful information. The stories of the families, who have already adopted, were so touching. It is always wonderful to learn of another happy adoption story. I purchased the book at my local Christian store, so go out and get yours today. You will not be disappointed! It will make your heart even more delighted and excited about your adoption journey! I know it did for mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment