Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Songs in Ordinary Time

My first book review. Not that anybody asked me to review it, or that anybody cares what I think about it, or that it will even be semi-professional in the wording that I choose. I'm just glad I have my own little spot in the world to tell people what I think about some things every now and then. You should get one, too. :) With that being said, here goes...

Pretty much anything in Oprah's Book Club is going to be a good book, in my mind (Erin, I know you'll think so, too, you little Oprah lover, you!). The books I've read so far from the list really tend to have a lot of "meat" to them, a lot of heart and soul; they always leave you coming back for more.

And with a book that is 740 pages long, you are definitely going to be coming back for more with this one! Now, since I'm not a professional book critic, I'm not obligated to give the background of the story, which is good (and usually boring to read about). I'm just going to give some basics...in my words...

Songs in Ordinary Time
by Mary McGarry Morris
is a Guh-Reat Book!

Here are some of the characters and a brief description:

Marie Fermoyle
The mom who can't catch a break and has had it rough

Sam Fermoyle
Her fall-down drunk of an ex-husband and father of her kids

Alice Fermoyle
Their daughter who is lookin' for love in ALL the wrong places

Norm Fermoyle
The tough middle son, trying to find his way, but still messing up

Benjy Fermoyle
The youngest who knows too much but wants peace for his mom

Omar Duvall
A stranger who comes into their lives making big promises

Chief Stoner
The police chief having an affair, while his wife is dying of cancer

Father Gannon
A new priest who is pretty radical in his ways

Helen LaChance
Sam's sister, uptight, strong, driven, hates her brother

Renie LaChance
Helen's husband who makes anonymous obscene phone calls

Blue Mooney
Marine on leave causing trouble with a thing for Alice

It's really a great book. There's heartache, murder, deceit, an old lady living in a crib, people just trying to get by. It takes place in the 50's or 60's. I don't know how you are when you read a book, but the whole time with some of the situations, I would get angry, thinking, "The truth is staring you in the face, you idiot!" What can I say? I get into my books. :) So, I recommend the book. It's a great read, even though it's a long read.

I typically can finish a book within a couple of weeks, but with this, I could only read a few pages here and there. It took a couple months, but it was worth it. (I read other books in between, as well.) But, this way, it made me care about the characters and what was happening in their lives, and I like that about a book. I enjoy a book that I can really care about.

So, yes, go out and get this book.
It comes highly recommended by Bri. :)

**If you click the picture above, it will take you to Amazon, and you can buy it right now! And if you live near me, you can borrow my copy. I got it from the library book fair for $1. Woot!**

No comments:

Post a Comment