Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I SPY: Handmade

I am linking up again with Little Miss Momma for this week's I SPY: Handmade Edition. Unfortunately, as I walked around my house, I realized I didn't have as many handmade items as I would like. *Note to self - must invest in more, quality handmade items.* I do have some projects in the works, but none that are photo-worthy, so here goes...I Spy...a custom "Pieces" frame designed by Shea Ingram Frames to match our rustic, earthy living room decor. You can find her beautiful custom frames here and here. Don't worry! If they are not headed to an event near you, they will ship to you! She and her husband are just the nicest people. I enjoy buying handmade, quality items from great people, and they are the greatest!
I Spy...my son's Western bedding made by none other than my mom. (Yay for creative moms!) She has always had a way with that sewing machine of hers, so when we decided on a Western theme for his room, I asked her to make his bedding (and curtains). That way, we were able to buy all sorts of random pieces for his room, instead of working with a set and trying to match it. She did a great job, and the room is absolutely adorable. When we upgrade to a twin bed in the (near?) future, I will be sad to pack it away.
I Spy...the closest I get to sewing...those heat-bond, ironing strips. Ha! I wanted to spruce up the shower curtain to match our Hawaiian decor, but not with flowers or surfboards. I bought the material, which looks great with the gecko photos from Hawaii and the rest of our guest bathroom decor. I think it has a breezy, laid-back feel to it, and I really like it. Plus, it adds some textured color to break up the green of the shower curtain, the teal of the walls, and the plain green and coral towels. I rule.
I Spy...bracelets for my Etsy shop that I made. I really dig the turquoise and pearl bracelets. I just need to finish off the ends and tie the pretty little bows around them, and then they will be complete! I am really hoping that this venture into Etsy helps with our adoption fund. If having tons of ideas for little girl accessories is a sign of good things to come from it, then I think so. :)
I Spy...my one true creative love...scrapbooking! Can you consider it handmade? I do. I've been doing them since high school. I've made them for my family, as well. I love to scrapbook! These are from Waylon's first year, which I need to finish. His second year has already come and gone, and we are almost halfway into his third! Yikes, Bikes!
Well, I hope you enjoyed this little jaunt into the handmade parts of my home. Like I said before, I am definitely intrigued by how little we have that is handmade. Really makes me want to dig in and get my hands dirty, painted or get my fingernails chipped in some sort of creative process to beautify our space. While writing this, I remembered a quilt from my grandmother made by a Catholic Charity in California, that I have. A bunch of little old ladies would get together to quilt at their church, and every year, my Brown Granny would send for some. And you could always be sure that the little old ladies would accidentally leave some of the needles in the quilt, and you would only find them when you got poked in the leg or bum. Handmade...good times. Or the fence around my vegetable garden that my husband threw together last year with no plans, just some wood and chicken wire. I guess we do have more handmade things than I thought, but I still see more projects on the horizon!

No comments:

Post a Comment